'Last Words' is a two week Easter series looking at two of Jesus' final sayings on the cross. #1 Father, forgive them is taken from Luke 23:34 "And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” In His prayer, Jesus;
- Reveals our greatest need (forgiveness)
- Deals with our greatest greatest problem (getting us forgiven!)
- Models forgiveness
- He prays to the Father - here Jesus is praying that the greatest problems his enemies face are conquered. He is praying FOR them, not just forgiving them.
- He prays for their good - by praying to the Father He is praying for their blessing and intimacy with God to be restored! That's good stuff!
- He prays for restoration - by praying for their forgiveness He is basically saying 'I want you as a brothers and sisters for eternity!' Wow!
- Mtt 5:34 ESV 43 “you have heard that it was said, ‘you shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.’ 44 but I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you...
- Luke 6:28 NIV 'bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.'
- Rom 12v17-18 NIV 17 do not repay anyone evil for evil…18 if it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.'Col 3:13 NIV 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the lord forgave you.'