From the beginning of Redeemer, we have made it a priority to pray. We do this collectively as a church at various gatherings. Together, we want to learn to pray and be equipped to help others pray. This page has links to helps, resources and outlines of our current prayer gatherings.
Friday Mornings @ 6:45am
During term time we gather in someone's house on Friday mornings and dive straight into prayer for an hour, praising God and lifting our requests to Him. If time allows we have bacon afterwards!
MONTHLY 'CALLING ON GOD'
Last Thur of the month @ 7:45pm
For the last Life Group of the month, we primarily give our time to prayer. 'Calling on God' hints at the focus of that time - Calling on God to change lives and circumstances around. us as we cry 'Let your Kingdom come'.
Half Night of Prayer - Termly
Once a term, all the churches that are part of our network gather in 'hubs' (groupings of churches) for a half night of prayer on a Friday. Last year saw around 3000 people gathering at once!
On Sundays we have a pre-service prayer - this is an unstructured time where anybody who would like to pray may. Some folks like to sit quietly, others pace around singing or simply lie on the floor! Small groups may gather and pray together. At some point a designated leader may gather everyone to pray together for a short time.
We believe God's word is powerful and brings encouragement, challenge and comfort. He is a good Father who knows us intimately and calls us to repentance to be free of anything that hinders us enjoying that intimacy and glorifying Him. After our services we leave some time for folks to minister to one another and the leaders would also love to pray with you.
We provide links to various resources that we may not agree with in their entirety but still see value in them, please use your discretion and discuss them in your local church community.
REDEEMER 'PRAYER' SERMONS
'PRAY' SERMON SERIES - JAN 2017
A four week series on learning to pray from "The Lord's Prayer". Files include Handouts, PowerPoints and Audio recordings.
'COLOSSIANS 4V2' SERMON SERIES - JUNE 2017
A three week series on Paul's prayer in Colossians 4v2. Files include Handouts, PowerPoints and Audio recordings.
PRAYING WITH PAUL - JAN 2018
A week week series learning from some of Paul's prayers that are recorded in scripture. Files include Handouts, PowerPoints and Audio recordings.
PRAYER & FASTING ARTICLES
- Developing a Powerful Prayer Life (interview) - Terry Virgo
- 'Teach Us to Pray' articles, sermons & videos - Desiring God
- Your Personal Guide to Fasting and Prayer - by Dr. Bill Bright
- 7 Basic Steps to Successful Fasting and Prayer - by Dr. Bill Bright
- Only by Prayer - Terry Virgo (audio sermon)
- The Spirit-Filled Church: Devoted to Prayer - Terry Virgo (sermon)
- Prayer - Mike Betts
- Daily Practices (video interview) - Dallas Willard
- The Names of God sermon series - John Piper
PRAYER FOCUSSED BIBLE READING PLANS
We recommend you download the Bible App (https://www.bible.com/app) - it is free and has numerous Bible reading plans available.
BOOKS ON PRAYER
- Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God - Tim Keller
- A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World - Paul E. Miller
- The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears - Mark Batterson
- A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers - D. A. Carson